[oi-dev] Making VIM run in a modern mode by default

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sun May 22 11:15:31 UTC 2016

Hello all!

>     The list of gains is huge but the most obvious to me are:
>     a) syntax highlighting makes it easier to read code and configuration files
>     b) navigation is possible with arrow keys, page-up/down, home/end
>     c) selecting blocks of texts and running regexps over them is trivial
>
>     And I see not a single downside in the non-compatible vim mode.
>

> Maybe my question was stupid but: are there environment for which using "vim"
> as "vi" breaks things ? (serial consoles ?)
> If it is the case then Volker has a point.

Wow, interesting discussion.

Maybe I should clarify my concern.  When I log in as root via the
system console on a newly installed system, I do not want to be
distracted by anything "non-standard".  I have not experienced any
problems yet simply because I have never used vim in non-compatible
mode as root.

In my "normal" user account, I have a .vimrc file.  The simple presence
of this file makes vim switch to non-compatible mode.  I don't really
care because obviously I use Emacs for most things. :-)

The problem I see with your suggestion is simply the fact that it will
also change the behaviour for the root user.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"