[oi-dev] intel driver and old video chipsets

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 4 08:21:40 UTC 2016

Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> It's a known issue that current intel drm driver in OI fails to work
> with old Intel video adapters, like Intel g945 and similar.
> Do we have a list of such devices and their pci ids?
> Can we remove corresponding pci ids from
> https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/components/openindiana/drm/drm.p5m#L31
> ?

The new intel driver accepts my graphics adapter shown as
8086:116 so this one should be kept in the list.

However I cannot find a way to dim the lights. The brightness
is stuck at the maximum level, which is unbearable.

The functions keys for adjusting the brighness (Fn+F2 / Fn+F3)
have no effect. I guess I have to hook something to the
functions keys, but how can I do that ?

With Gnome, there was a brighness control under "Power
Management", which worked at least on Nvidia graphics, but
there is no power management any more with Mate.

Please point me at proper documentation for adjusting the
brighness.

> Will it solve the problem? I mean, will Xorg fall back to vesa and
> handle such devices as earlier?

With the vesa driver, Fn+F2 / Fn+F3 showed an on-screen
brightness control (with no effect on actual brightness),
but with the intel driver I do not get this control, so I
think there were inappropriate hooks with vesa and the hooks
are missing with Intel.

Jean-Pierre