[oi-dev] intel driver and old video chipsets

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:44:31 UTC 2016

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Jean-Pierre André <
jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> It's a known issue that current intel drm driver in OI fails to work
>> with old Intel video adapters, like Intel g945 and similar.
>> Do we have a list of such devices and their pci ids?
>> Can we remove corresponding pci ids from
>> https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/
>> components/openindiana/drm/drm.p5m#L31
>> ?
>>

> The new intel driver accepts my graphics adapter shown as
> 8086:116 so this one should be kept in the list.

This PCI id corresponds to Sandy Bridge and was not removed: all gen 6/7
were kept.

Do you have any sporadic GPU hang to report?

You can run glxgears in non-synchronized mode to check it:

$ vblank_mode=0 glxgears

Could you add a comment in the following table?

https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Intel+KMS+driver

> With the vesa driver, Fn+F2 / Fn+F3 showed an on-screen
> brightness control (with no effect on actual brightness),
> but with the intel driver I do not get this control, so I
> think there were inappropriate hooks with vesa and the hooks
> are missing with Intel.

FIY, when it comes to my Thinkpads hot keys are managed in Linux by evdev
and are otherwise totally ignored since OI does not support it (for
instance you can check with xev) so xmodmap would not even help.

xf86-video-intel provides a backlight tool but I have not used it.

> Jean-Pierre

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings