[oi-dev] Gnome 3

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Nov 5 03:38:43 UTC 2016

On 11/ 4/16 07:49 PM, Franklin Ronald wrote:
> Hi team,
>
> Gnome 3 has been ported to Solaris
> (https://java.net/projects/solaris-userland/sources/gate/show/components/gnome).
> My question is: We can port it to OpenIndiana based on Oracle work?

Everything we published to the solaris-userland gate should be covered by an
acceptable Open Source license.  You probably want to replace the Oracle
trademarked logo images with your own of course, but that's just as much
an issue of promoting your own work as avoiding trademark issues.

We did need some changes to other components & consolidations.  I've
probably forgotten some, but we needed at least:

  - FreeType 2.12 (X gate)
  - Enabling the llvmpipe backend in Mesa (X gate) which of course
    required a suitable LLVM (Userland gate)
  - IBus 1.5 (G11N gate)
  - libxkbcommon (X gate)
  - libepoxy (X gate)
  - ld -Bsymbolic-functions (ON gate)
  - xkeyboard-config.pc in x11/keyboard/data-xkb package (G11N gate)
  - pthread_getattr_np() in libc (ON gate)
  - XIAllowTouchEvents() in libXi (X gate)

plus pretty much everything in components/desktop in the solaris-userland
gate.  (components/gnome is purely GNOME stuff, other things it depends
on from freedesktop.org, mozilla, etc. ended up in components/desktop.)

We did not port either Sun Ray support or Trusted Desktop support to
GNOME 3, but I didn't think OI ported those to MATE either.

	-alan-