[oi-dev] USB installation instructions

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Mon Nov 21 11:28:37 UTC 2016

> On 21. nov 2016, at 13:12, Jean-Pierre André <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Michael Kruger wrote:

>>> echo “acpi-user-options=2” > usbmountpoint/boot/conf.d/acpi
>
> Ok, will try
>
>>> this will make it default for your stick.
>>>
>>> rgds,
>>> toomas
>>
>> The docs website has been updated with screen shots of the new boot
>> loader, which show the various boot options.
>>
>> http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#booting-openindiana-installer-media <http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/getting-started/#booting-openindiana-installer-media>
>>

>> In the boot options screen, there are 4 different ACPI settings.
>> Would this achieve the same thing?
>
> Are you not assuming the user gets a screen with options ?
> (I only get a "I" on top left of screen).

Ou, you have usb image, trying to boot and never get to loader screen itself, only have spinner at upper left corner?

if so, the acpi options wont make any difference there yet, those are for kernel.

if the first spinner appears, you have the boot loader stage1 running, and it should start the loader itself. If not, reboot (as its probably hung or something), when spinner appears, press a key and you should get the prompt.

from it you can verify what devices are visible by entering on boot:  status
and to see if it is able to list current boot directory content boot: ?boot
note the prompt there is really limited and you can not use arrow keys.

but thats just for very basic diagnostics, just to verify what your bios did make available… if the loader itself is never started, your secondary option is to check with cd, and other than that will require more debugging and/or more recent build depending on what is the root cause. Absolutely no messages from the loader does smell pretty bad, it means something is gone wrong at very early…

rgds,
toomas