[oi-dev] USB installation instructions

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 21 12:05:29 UTC 2016

Toomas Soome wrote:

>> On 21. nov 2016, at 13:12, Jean-Pierre André
>> <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr <mailto:jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr>>
>> wrote:

[...]

>>> In the boot options screen, there are 4 different ACPI settings.
>>> Would this achieve the same thing?
>>
>> Are you not assuming the user gets a screen with options ?
>> (I only get a "I" on top left of screen).
>>

> Ou, you have usb image, trying to boot and never get to loader screen
> itself, only have spinner at upper left corner?

Ok, what I thought was an "I" must be a "|" not followed
by / \ etc.

> if so, the acpi options wont make any difference there yet, those are
> for kernel.

Correct, I have tried with no success.

So the loader is relying on some acpi behavior which did
not matter to grub.

> if the first spinner appears, you have the boot loader stage1 running,
> and it should start the loader itself. If not, reboot (as its probably
> hung or something), when spinner appears, press a key and you should get
> the prompt.

Rebooted twice. No reaction to keyboard (this is
a USB keyboard, no serial line on this computer).

Note : this is a computer on which OpenIndiana had
been installed from USB key with an appropriate
grub option.

> from it you can verify what devices are visible by entering on boot:  status
> and to see if it is able to list current boot directory content boot: ?boot
> note the prompt there is really limited and you can not use arrow keys.
>
> but thats just for very basic diagnostics, just to verify what your bios
> did make available
 if the loader itself is never started, your
> secondary option is to check with cd, and other than that will require
> more debugging and/or more recent build depending on what is the root
> cause. Absolutely no messages from the loader does smell pretty bad, it
> means something is gone wrong at very early

Adding a file to a CD requires regenerating a bootable CD.
Much more complex than a ufs partition on a USB key.

Moreover if the loader has some acpi expectation, it
will be the same from a CD... and on the installed loader.

Is there a way to activate grub on the key ?

I will probably give up, but I am open to help you
debugging the issue.

Jean-Pierre