[oi-dev] USB installation instructions

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Mon Nov 21 12:47:35 UTC 2016

> On 21. nov 2016, at 14:05, Jean-Pierre André <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> Toomas Soome wrote:
>>
>>> On 21. nov 2016, at 13:12, Jean-Pierre André
>>> <jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr <mailto:jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

> [...]
>>>
>>> Are you not assuming the user gets a screen with options ?
>>> (I only get a "I" on top left of screen).
>>>

>> Ou, you have usb image, trying to boot and never get to loader screen
>> itself, only have spinner at upper left corner?
>
> Ok, what I thought was an "I" must be a "|" not followed
> by / \ etc.
>
>> if so, the acpi options wont make any difference there yet, those are
>> for kernel.
>
> Correct, I have tried with no success.
>
> So the loader is relying on some acpi behavior which did
> not matter to grub.

No, loader does not rely on acpi at all, except it will (later) detect it and export some data from it to environment (for informational purposes). But to reach that point, you will see version strings etc printed out.

>> if the first spinner appears, you have the boot loader stage1 running,
>> and it should start the loader itself. If not, reboot (as its probably
>> hung or something), when spinner appears, press a key and you should get
>> the prompt.
>
> Rebooted twice. No reaction to keyboard (this is
> a USB keyboard, no serial line on this computer).
>
> Note : this is a computer on which OpenIndiana had
> been installed from USB key with an appropriate
> grub option.
>
>> from it you can verify what devices are visible by entering on boot:  status
>> and to see if it is able to list current boot directory content boot: ?boot
>> note the prompt there is really limited and you can not use arrow keys.
>>
>> but thats just for very basic diagnostics, just to verify what your bios
>> did make available
> if the loader itself is never started, your
>> secondary option is to check with cd, and other than that will require
>> more debugging and/or more recent build depending on what is the root
>> cause. Absolutely no messages from the loader does smell pretty bad, it
>> means something is gone wrong at very early
>

> Adding a file to a CD requires regenerating a bootable CD.
> Much more complex than a ufs partition on a USB key.
>
> Moreover if the loader has some acpi expectation, it
> will be the same from a CD... and on the installed loader.
>
> Is there a way to activate grub on the key ?
>
> I will probably give up, but I am open to help you
> debugging the issue.
>
> Jean-Pierre

Once more, loader is not really depending on acpi. From loader point of view, you do not need any acpi setup at all, its only needed (if needed) for kernel.

Now if you get stuck on very first spinner itself, it means the stage1 (gptzfsboot) itself is getting hung. So the question is, why.

You can try few things;

1. attach stick to existing OI, and reinstall boot blocks on it: installboot -mF /boot/pmbr /boot/gptzfsboot /dev/rdsk/cXtYd0s0
use format -e to get the device name or use /dev/removable-media/rdsk/… instead.

The ufs with media contents is in slice 0

2. if it still wont do, mail me and I’ll send you gptzfsboot from different build, so we can see it it will change anything.

3. Can you check if the usb image from http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/tsoome/ <http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/tsoome/> will get to loader menu/prompt.

And sure, for grub, use installgrub command with /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2, you may need to create boot/grub/menu.lst for the stick, however.

rgds,
toomas