[oi-dev] HEADS UP: /dev images are archived

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 00:27:20 UTC 2016

On 11/26/16 03:03 PM, Adam Števko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I moved all /dev and old OpenSolaris isos under archive directory
> at http://dlc.openindiana.org/isos/archive/. This change is going to
> be propagated to mirrors after they sync.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam

-Do you think that there is the room for linking something like
hipster-current link to latest ISOs and images for Openindiana hipster
snapshots,
so that people won't get lost in big large list of hipster snapshot images.

And/or to have all images/files of one snapshot inside it's folder.

-On another topic, about 'entire' state of packages on OI hipster snapshots:
I urge on considering keeping in OI publisher, 'entire' package state
of at least one previous and latest current OI hipster snapshot (ISO),
so to make more easy and predictable updates from previous hipster installs.

Deleting 'entire' state of latest current OI hipster snapshot can result
in unupdatable installs until potential bugs with updating are fixed in
newest hipster, if ever.

'Rolling release' is nothing if there is not some kind of 'release' and
still closest to that are OI hipster snapshots, so keeping it's 'entire'
state for at least 2 latest snapshots or so is minimum for upgrade path.

I also don't understand any reasoning fo keeping /dev repository
untouched and not updated,
when there is alsmost clear upgrade path from old /dev over
/hipster-2015 (that should stay there for upgrade path for consideralbe
time too) toward newest /hipster.
That is also the reason why keeping package state of at least 2 OI
hipster snapshots is needed, to ensure upgrade path regarding /dev old
installs too.

I think it is truly reasonable to prepare, and do landing of previously
tested  hipster snapshots, into /dev repository, firstly as upgrade from
/dev to hipster-2015 and then to catch the train with hipster snapshots,
so that at the end it remains on the same track, with both /dev and
/hipster updated at it's own different pace.