[oi-dev] Apache OpenOffice retirement - all contributors fled to LibreOffice after Oracle Sun takeover Fwd: Broken components

Lionel Cons lionelcons1972 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 21:00:02 UTC 2016

On 9 September 2016 at 22:55, Alan Coopersmith
<alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 09/ 9/16 01:52 PM, Lionel Cons wrote:
>>
>> On 9 September 2016 at 22:45, Alan Coopersmith
>> <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

>>> Oracle turned the whole thing over to Apache years ago, and Apache has
>>> been managing that community ever since.
>>

>> And why did things go south that fast then? Didn't Oracle also pull
>> the plug on the in house dev team - which in turn then went to work on
>> Libreoffice instead?
>

> Yes, Oracle killed the product, got out of the office suite market, laid off
> the team, and instead of leaving the code to rot, donated it to Apache.  It
> wasn't trying to grow a community, just let the community have a chance to
> continue without it.

Well, the community fled to Libreoffice instead.

I wish Oracle would've continued Solaris as open source, but not even
CERN and Fermilab had the might to turn the stubborn bean counters at
Oracle around. Which in turn sealed the fate of much of Solaris usage
in scientific areas.

Lionel