[oi-dev] Apache OpenOffice retirement - all contributors fled to LibreOffice after Oracle Sun takeover Fwd: Broken components

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 05:15:19 UTC 2016

On 09/ 9/16 11:00 PM, Lionel Cons wrote:
> On 9 September 2016 at 22:55, Alan Coopersmith
> <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, Oracle killed the product, got out of the office suite market, laid off
>> the team, and instead of leaving the code to rot, donated it to Apache.  It
>> wasn't trying to grow a community, just let the community have a chance to
>> continue without it.
> Well, the community fled to Libreoffice instead.

I think this is mostly pulled out of other mailing list context, where
they represent actual internal discussion
and using it out of that context, it screams on FUD.

Milions and milions of Apache Open Office downloads through the months
and years and every day today,
spell different story, of well behaved and mature product.

Similar attacks have already been coming from LibreOffice fanboy base.
Other then that, Oracle did the right thing with Apache Open Office.