[oi-dev] Dropping java interfaces to Gnome libraries

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Tue Feb 28 20:30:33 UTC 2017

Hello, people.

Need your opinion on the following question.
We currently provide several jni libraries, wrapping
Gnome native libraries -

cairo-java
java-atk-wrapper
libgconf-java
libglade-java
libgnome-java
libgtk-java
glib-java
libvte-java

Most of them are currently not supported upstream:
Last upstream releases:
cairo-java                 2007
java-atk-wrapper           2015
libgconf-java              2007
libglade-java              2007
libgnome-java              2007
libgtk-java                2007
glib-java                  2007
libvte-java                2007

Should we build them, check that they work with latest libraries and
java 8 or just drop?
I'm inclined to do the later.

If someone knows why we should preserve them, please, speak.
Don't speak about mythical ABI compatibility for unknown applications,
speak about
a) real use cases, which you know;
b) desire to test and support them :)

I'm waiting for your opinions till the weekend.