[oi-dev] Wiki comments

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 09:53:21 UTC 2017

On 02/25/17 11:55 PM, Adam Števko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I also support this step. I will be for every solution that helps us
> clean up wiki even more.

"Cleaning up" is not the way, but improving.
Isolationist and disabling policy is hardly welcoming to anyone ,
therefore disabling comments without alternate solution already working
is a messy idea to say at least.

> Seeing outdated comments is bad thing.

It is not a bad thing to have comments per se. It is a good thing .
If it is in the right place it is not the bad thing too.
Maybe someone thinks all comments and form of communication are bad
thing, but they are not.

> I’d rather see people update wiki content or contribute to oi-docs
> (hey, we need you!). If they want to discuss, there are channels for
> that: mailing lists and IRC.
>
> I am not going to react to everything, only to few key things:

You not only want to delete all comments, or selected comments, that
represent active history of people reactions,
but also want to _disable_ commenting, that is read as alienating people
from project?

> - number of mailing lists - historically, there might have been more
> mailing lists for different sub projects, but it doesn’t make sense

Under your opinion, that historically proved to be false.
It makes sense having teams actually.
Since there are no many people coming in and there are no teams formed.

Closing things one by one hardly can be describe as creating something..

> to return to such setup unless we grow

One can't grow , by closing ways of communication, mailing lists,
commenting and deleting user content.

> our contributor base significantly. It isn’t very practical to have 20
> mailing lists

What's wrong with that having many lists??. Do lists frighten you in the
evening? Is freedom to post to list without control and discuss without
ability to stop them to discuss problem for your control?
Do they consume some much resources? No.
Being frightened fo many lists is just illogical. (Providing grown up
person know how to use it's mailing list filters in mail client...)

> and only 2-3 people on them. We can use existing lists.

If you continue messing around with things, closing up means of
communication, hardly will be skyrocketing.
As seen by current 2-list principle, it hardly made any strong move forward.

I actually very much like lists that are per-project, per-team and it
hardly matters how many people are on it if it is used to
- Do thing in the public
- record activity for later reading
- Communicate freely and conveniently asynchronous on the subjects

> - #oi-documentation is not an official IRC channel and any talk
> regarding development, documentation, asking question etc can be done
> in #openindiana / #oi-dev. So, if there is an interest in moving
> documentation forward, please let’s reuse existing channels and not
> fragment the already small community.
>
> As for disabling comments, I think we should set a deadline.

I heard first time of the other one, I added #oi-documentation id to my
chat list.
I heard that "docs" channel first time in this thread

People are welcome to #oi-documentation to talk about... documentation.
"docs" are not documentation.