[oi-dev] Wiki comments

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:07:33 UTC 2017

On 02/25/17 05:43 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Hi,
> could we disable comments on the wiki and remove all the existing ones.

Existing ones should be saved and reused not just deleted...
Beside there are good info in them, thez are activity traces no to be
part from so easy.

> Most discussions are outdated, either irrelevant or incorrect.
That does not make them invaluable.

> Discussions happen on IRC or the ML, no need for duplicates.
> We could argue about the lack of forums but in any case the Wiki is
> not one.

Deleting them just like that without saving and a plan to incorporate
them in other ways would be a blow to their freedom to post them in a
first place.

I have an idea of integrating them (and on-site comments) into newly
made mailing list integration with forum-like representation of it. So I
would need them all.

Bare in mind that any way people contact and are active, is a good way
and shutting down means of communication is not positive by any means.

Besides, if you take a look at public forums, they also include all
previous old messages, and no one asks just like that, to remove them
and why should?

OI also had much more mailing lists in the past but someone unonimously
shut them down, like:

oi-dev - existing
oi-infra
oi-bugs-team
oi-Caiman-team
oi-G11-team
oi-Jds-team
oi-NewDevs
oi-Pkg-team
oi-Sfw-team
oi-Userland-team
oi-Xnv-team
oiac-discuss
openindiana-announce - existing but not send to, because no official
releases
openindiana-discuss   - existing
Pkgbuild-announce

And instead of groups and organization, we have disorganization and few
people around. Not saying it is connected as such directly, but...

Power to destroy is ,someone say,  power over something, but power of
reusing and creation is much bigger power, so no to 'just deleting'
people's comments at the present time...