[oi-dev] Wiki comments

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:25:18 UTC 2017

Most discussions are outdated, either irrelevant or incorrect.

> That does not make them invaluable.

If nobody cares to reuse them then they are de facto deprecated.
A newcomer may not be able to distinguish what is outdated and what is not:
keeping information that is inconsistent is dangerous.

> Discussions happen on IRC or the ML, no need for duplicates.
>> We could argue about the lack of forums but in any case the Wiki is not
>> one.
>>

> Deleting them just like that without saving and a plan to incorporate them
> in other ways would be a blow to their freedom to post them in a first
> place.

If nobody stepped up, in the past three years that we have been talking
about it, to process them then it means that nobody cared enough to devise
such plan.

> I have an idea of integrating them (and on-site comments) into newly made
> mailing list integration with forum-like representation of it. So I would
> need them all.

Then let us back them up.

> Bare in mind that any way people contact and are active, is a good way and
> shutting down means of communication is not positive by any means.

Better do one thing right than several wrong.

> Besides, if you take a look at public forums, they also include all
> previous old messages, and no one asks just like that, to remove them and
> why should?

Because a wiki is not a forum and enabling this feature was a mistake in
the first place.

> OI also had much more mailing lists in the past but someone unonimously
> shut them down, like:

They are useless when the number of mailing-lists exceeds the number of
users.

> Power to destroy is ,someone say,  power over something, but power of
> reusing and creation is much bigger power, so no to 'just deleting'
> people's comments at the present time...

I agree with this but if nobody reuses them and the situation leads to
inconsistency I'd rather get consistency over quantity.

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings