[oi-dev] Wiki comments

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 22:45:18 UTC 2017

On 02/25/17 11:14 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com
> <mailto:minikola at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/25/17 08:41 PM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
>
>         nikolam, you should check the comments. I have the impression
>         that a lot of them can be deleted without loosing anything.
>         You are right to preserve comments with valuable information,
>         eg. technical discussions.
>

>     Selecting what should be preserved or not is changing the history,
>     a la 1984.
>     I am sure you are right some comments are more useful then others,
>     yet they are all just comments.
>     And even just comments, they are all useful (except spam etc).
>     They are to be reused so ditching (and even removing ability to
>     comment) I don't see right atm.
>

> Nothing is ever erased on the internet.
> So we put obsolete content in a directory named "Archeology" where you
> could dig for content to bring back the the current Wiki space if it
> is of interest.

it's just not clever way of doing everything. it's Ok to improve
articles, but burning and re-creating on another place..
it is just easier to know what comments belong to where when it is time
to migrate them.
If you mess it around like that, then it is pointless.

> Any obsolete and incorrect content should be removed from the current
> space: people need *up-to-date* and *reliable* information.

And it is made by editing content and not disabling commenting etc.

> Having incorrect information on the official Wiki makes us look like a
> bunch of clowns.

Comments are not wiki content.
Whatever clowns you see..