[oi-dev] Wiki comments

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 22:52:31 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/25/17 11:14 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>

> On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/25/17 08:41 PM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
>>
>>> nikolam, you should check the comments. I have the impression that a lot
>>> of them can be deleted without loosing anything.
>>> You are right to preserve comments with valuable information, eg.
>>> technical discussions.
>>>

>> Selecting what should be preserved or not is changing the history, a la
>> 1984.
>> I am sure you are right some comments are more useful then others, yet
>> they are all just comments.
>> And even just comments, they are all useful (except spam etc).
>> They are to be reused so ditching (and even removing ability to comment)
>> I don't see right atm.
>>

> Nothing is ever erased on the internet.
> So we put obsolete content in a directory named "Archeology" where you
> could dig for content to bring back the the current Wiki space if it is of
> interest.
>

> it's just not clever way of doing everything. it's Ok to improve articles,
> but burning and re-creating on another place..
> it is just easier to know what comments belong to where when it is time to
> migrate them.
> If you mess it around like that, then it is pointless.

Experience tells me otherwise. Sometimes rm -rf reimplementation on
consistent foundations is better than messing with an inconsistent system
with undefined behaviour.

> Any obsolete and incorrect content should be removed from the current
> space: people need *up-to-date* and *reliable* information.
>

> And it is made by editing content and not disabling commenting etc.

Just do it (tm)

> Having incorrect information on the official Wiki makes us look like a
> bunch of clowns.
>

> Comments are not wiki content.
> Whatever clowns you see..

Outdated comments make us look equally as bad as incorrect official Wiki
content.
That's what matters.

I am not interested in speculating and theorizing forever, let us discuss
and come to practical decisions.
The goal: the Wiki should contain up-to-date and reliable information and
not pretend to be a forum (that's another discussion).

On your mark, go!

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings