[oi-dev] Components archive url availability

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu May 11 11:28:09 UTC 2017

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Dariusz Sendkowski <dsendkowski at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I guess that is exactly how it is done in OpenBSD. You have precompiled
> binaries, which you can fetch and install. You can also build them by
> yourself using OpenBSD ports system. If the original site is unavailable,
> the sources are downloaded directly from OpenBSD servers, for example:
>
> # cd /usr/ports/x11/libxdg-basedir/
>
> # make fetch
> ===>  Checking files for libxdg-basedir-1.2.0p0
> >> Fetch http://nevill.ch/libxdg-basedir/downloads/libxdg-
> basedir-1.2.0.tar.gz
> ftp: connect: Connection refused
> >> Fetch https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/distfiles//libxdg-
> basedir-1.2.0.tar.gz
> libxdg-basedir-1.2.0.t... 100%
>
> Well, of course one can always clone oi-userland and build the packages by
> oneself.
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to know how exactly it is done in OI.
>
> Btw, I wanted to add libxdg-basedir to oi-userland but as you can see,
> the original site is not available any more.

There is a mirror with archived tarballs at:

http://dlc.openindiana.org/oi-userland/source-archives/

which can be used automatically if you set the EXTERNAL_ARCHIVE_MIRROR
variable.

I do not know what you mean exactly by "precompiled package".
IPS is not based on "tarballs" and you can create pkg(5) archives for a
given package version just by pkgrecv from the publisher, this seems a bit
redundant.

HTH

> regards,
> Darek

>> On 05/11/17 10:53 AM, Dariusz Sendkowski wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What happens when a component archive url points to a web resource
>> > that is unavailable temporarily or, even worse, permanently? How does
>> > it impact the package availability?
>> >
>> > Are all these oi-userland components precompiled and stored somewhere
>> > on the publisher server along with the sources? So when users install
>> > some packages they fetch the precompiled packages regardless of the
>> > corresponding archive urls availability?
>>
>> I asked that 3+ years ago and i think they are stored on Oi build
>> servers, but not accessible from outside.
>>
>> It would be the best to always have all sources available at any time,
>> so all source is fetched from OI servers, but it could be a project for
>> itself to make upstream sources available locally on OI servers.
>>
>> Maintainers didn't like this, because fetching source archives from
>> remote server is more simple for a building process.
>>
>> I also used to point out the legality of even distributing precompiled
>> binaries before, without providing sources at any time. (and for any
>> distributed binary).
>> Having local store of source archives from the upstream projects,
>> having all sources always available at OI site, would fix both legal and
>> build problems and elevate problem if network source is not available.
>> Maybe just make local source code archives on Oi servers, visible to all
>> users?

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings