[oi-dev] Can I still install older perl and python?

Gordon Ross gordon.w.ross at gmail.com
Fri May 12 13:40:18 UTC 2017

Well, when a package is made "obsolete" by another (newer) one, we're
telling the packaging system that the newer one is a compatible
replacement for the older one, right?  In this case, that's not true.
Python 2.7 is not a compatible replacement for Python 2.6.  With it
marked obsolete, IPS actually makes it difficult to install the older
version along side.  I think that's a mistake.

Would it not have been enough to remove Python 2.6 from the userland
consolidation?
(so it's only installed if I actually ask for it?)

Disappointed...