[oi-dev] Virtualbox

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue May 30 16:32:54 UTC 2017

On May 29, 2017 9:10:46 PM GMT+02:00, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:
>Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> writes:
>
>> G B via oi-dev <oi-dev at openindiana.org> writes:
>>
>>> I added documentation to the VirtualBox page on the wiki:
>>> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox
>>
>> I might just be blind, but not seeing whatever was added there.
>> Can you mention a page search term that will lead me to your
>additions?
>
>Please ignore... yes I am blind.
>
>I'd like to know if you were able to get a clean install of lastest
>vbox following those directions?
>
>Far as I understood things... anything above 5.0.X, that is, any of
>the 5.1.x series will not install due to requiring gt5 I think it was.
>
>I was able to install 5.0.40 following JimKs' README and using his
>patches.
>
>I get it installed but have a curious error at the end:
>    `Installation of <SUNWvbox> partially failed.'
>
>The error does NOT prevent using the installed Vbox-5.0.40
>
>  [...]
>
>Detected an opensource Solaris descendant, assuming snv_151
>compatibility
>  Detected Solaris 11 Version 151
>      - Loaded: Host module
>      - Loaded: NetAdapter module
>      - Loaded: NetFilter (STREAMS) module
>      - Loaded: USBMonitor module
>      - Loaded: USB module
>   Configuring services...
>      - Enabled: Zone access service
>   Installing MIME types and icons...
>   Installing Python bindings...
>      - Installed: Bindings for Python 2.7
>   Updating the boot archive...
>
>   Installation of <SUNWvbox> partially failed.
>
>Do you see anything like that?

No, I think I did not install this release yet. If you re-install with the patched vboxconfig.sh also including a `set -x` line early on (edit the patched script with `vi` and note that packaging metadata like size and cksum will differ from examples), you can get a more detailed output that can glean the cause of non-zero (unsuccessful) return code.

I am not sure I'll very soon have time to inspect this myself, but as long as the result appears to work - it may be ok to the first order of approximation  ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android