[oi-dev] The ATI video driver for OI

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Sep 16 22:44:47 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> What is required to integrate the ATI video driver with OI?
>
> I notice that the ATI video driver is present in Freebsd.  It comes
> from X.org, and supports a long list of AMD/ATI/Radeon GPUs.  The
> Freebsd package is called `xf86-video-ati'.  It provides two shared
> libraries, ati_drv.so and radeon_drv.so, that are loaded by the X
> server.
>
> Could we do the same thing with the X server in OI?  What do we need
> to change?

What you mention is the Xorg module which is already present here (which I
tested when I bumped Xorg to 1.18.x):

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/tree/oi/hipster/components/x11/xf86-video-ati

Unfortunately newer versions require KMS support which requires actual
kernel work at:

https://github.com/illumos/gfx-drm

but also in illumos-gate itself.

Ideally if someone decided to work on it the code would reside under the
radeon directory here:

https://github.com/illumos/gfx-drm/tree/master/usr/src/uts/intel

There was a KMS radeon driver in Solaris but I am not sure if it is still
maintained and it certainly supported only the ATI cards provided with Sun
HW.

Kind regards

Aurelien

> --
> -Gary Mills-            -refurb-                -Winnipeg, Manitoba,
> Canada-

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings