[oi-dev] The ATI video driver for OI

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 17 03:56:01 UTC 2017

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 12:44:47AM +0200, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

>    What you mention is the Xorg module which is already present here
>    (which I tested when I bumped Xorg to 1.18.x):
>    [2]https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/tree/oi/hipster/component
>    s/x11/xf86-video-ati
>    Unfortunately newer versions require KMS support which requires actual
>    kernel work at:
>    [3]https://github.com/illumos/gfx-drm
>    but also in illumos-gate itself.

So, what you are saying, and Martin also said, is that using the
ATI and Radeon drivers is much more complicated than it seems at
first.  OI needs KMS support for these newer drivers to work.

>    Ideally if someone decided to work on it the code would reside under
>    the radeon directory here:
>    [4]https://github.com/illumos/gfx-drm/tree/master/usr/src/uts/intel

It won't be me.  I know almost nothing about kernel code or graphics
hardware.

>    There was a KMS radeon driver in Solaris but I am not sure if it is
>    still maintained and it certainly supported only the ATI cards provided
>    with Sun HW.

I don't think that its still present.  I notice that Xorg.0.log on
Solaris 11.3, where I have a Radeon card installed, says this:

    [   302.632] (II) GPU only supported with KMS, using vesa instead.