[oi-dev] Rust in userland?

Michal Nowak mnowak at startmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:10:42 UTC 2018

On 08/16/18 07:31 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 7:18 PM, Aurélien Larcher
> <aurelien.larcher at gmail.com <mailto:aurelien.larcher at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>             https://github.com/cgrzemba/oi-userland/tree/rust/components/developer/rust
>             <https://github.com/cgrzemba/oi-userland/tree/rust/components/developer/rust>
>

>         I remember now updating my recipe to yours but I needed some
>         configuration tweaks to deal with a few issues:
>         - /usr/bin/cc is default used as linker but it is sunstudio 12.1
>         so you need to override it,
>         - AR should be specified,
>         - this recipe assumes that GCC runtime libraries are in
>         /usr/lib/$(MACH64) which is not true for us with GCC >= 6,
>         - the linker should be specified for the target as it is not
>         passed from the global settings.
>
>         Also rustc will eat up to 3GB of RAM so the host should have
>         enough memory.
>

>     Just rebased my change over Carsten's branch:
>
>     https://github.com/alarcher/oi-userland/tree/rust123
>     <https://github.com/alarcher/oi-userland/tree/rust123>
>

> More work:
>
> helios> rustc hello.rs <http://hello.rs>
> error[E0463]: can't find crate for `std`
>
> error: aborting due to previous error
>
> helios> ls /usr/lib/amd64/rustlib/x86_64-sun-solaris/
> analysis/ lib/
>
> but rust looks for libraries in /usr/lib/rustlib
>
> Symlinked like a piggy to check it and it is the problem...
>
> Also rustc does not put /usr/lib/amd64 in the search path so executables
> are broken.

I build Aurélien's branch inside a zone, but it fails for me with:

error: could not exec the linker `/usr/gcc/6/bin/gcc`: Not enough space
(os error 12)

For full log, see
https://paste.ec/paste/JxbabBm7#Kn+gh58pAwBhweYcTzrk6gzVSH7Rc6Npg2eXEmoCMv1.

I am quite sure that I have plenty of disk space available:

$ df -h .
Filesystem             Size   Used  Available Capacity  Mounted on
rpool/zones/build/build-userland/ROOT/zbe-125
                        114G  14.7G      74.9G    17%    /

Any idea what the problem might be? I build it on Lenovo X220 (4 cores,
6 GB of memory + 3 GB of swap), OS is updated to latest packages. I
don't think I limited the zone in any way when I created it.

Thanks,
Michal