[oi-dev] Packages only in the main repository

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed Oct 24 15:42:51 UTC 2018

On 10/24/18 06:14 AM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
> On 24/10/2018 14:39, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Motif is still needed for some applications, but isn't there OpenMotif ?

Yes - but it's not binary compatible with the old Solaris Motif 1.2 or 2.1
so you'll need to recompile the apps to use it.

> libXaw is still needed, but again, freedesktop.org has a free alternative.

Right - these are the X11R4 & X11R5 versions for backwards binary compatibility.
X.Org currently ships libXaw7 upstream, which is in a different OI package.

> CDE is dead, and people that used it should be, too (I feel sick...).

Hey!  Just because we're old doesn't mean we're useless!

> libowconfig....oh my god, OpenWindows, olwm ?

That was  a badly named Xsun configuration library - I have no idea why
anything would still be using it.  We dropped it in Solaris 11.4 after
modifying fbconfig (SPARC graphics config utility) to stop using it:

https://github.com/oracle/solaris-xorg/commit/ecb865891b0685db5d

> SUNWxwinc/plt are just Meta-incorporation packages for Xwindows
> application groups; useful as such, they may be renamed and kept.

They were a transition aid for old SVR4 packages that depended on
the SVR4 SUNWxwplt & SUNWxwinc, which bundled all the X libraries
and clients together before we split them into individual packages
to match upstream.

If you want to publish them, the sources are in:
https://github.com/oracle/solaris-xorg/tree/1c94357064e1b34d3bcec7c43b60ba45ba3114e1/pkg/manifests

(We also dropped them in Solaris 11.4.)

	-alan-