[oi-dev] Whitespace in Makefiles in oi-userland keep causing Problems

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:03:14 UTC 2018

Hello Fellow developers.

I have a confusing Problem with our buildsystem.
Since today it keeps behaving Inconsistently when I have a Whitespace in
a Value of a variable.

A Makefile like so:

<snip>
COMPONENT_NAME=salt
COMPONENT_VERSION=2018.3.2
COMPONENT_SUMMARY='Portable, distributed, remote execution and
configuration management system'
COMPONENT_PROJECT_URL=http://saltstack.com
COMPONENT_FMRI=system/management/$(COMPONENT_NAME)
COMPONENT_CLASSIFICATION='System/Administration and Configuration'
<snip>

Something like COMPONENT_CLASSIFICATION would break pkgmogrify with:
pkgmogrify: File
/export/home/toast/workspace/openindiana/userland/components/python/salt/build/manifest-i386-salt-27.p5m
line 18: Malformed action at position: 90: whitespace in key:
    set name=info.classification
value=org.opensolaris.category.2008:System/Administration and Configuration

I could manage to supress this by using escape characters like " or '.
But not in all cases. And with the Classification the Whitespaces are
required as that Category has Whitespaces in their name. Thus it won't
publish.

I remember that Whitespaces where no problem not long ago. How will we
handle this? Packages like puppet and many others have also Whitespaces
in the Makefiles.

Greetings
Till