[oi-dev] Whitespace in Makefiles in oi-userland keep causing Problems

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 23:45:23 UTC 2018

Whitespace in Makefiles has been a mess from the start.  The story is that Feldman realized that making distinctions between types of white space was a bad idea.  But he had a dozen users and didn't want to break their Makefiles.  And the Bourne shell is not much better on that score.  What you can't see can have devastating consequences,

 Hello Fellow developers.

 I have a confusing Problem with our
 buildsystem.
 Since today it keeps behaving
 Inconsistently when I have a Whitespace in
 a Value of a variable.

 A Makefile like so:

 <snip>
 COMPONENT_NAME=salt
 COMPONENT_VERSION=2018.3.2
 COMPONENT_SUMMARY='Portable,
 distributed, remote execution and
 configuration management system'
 COMPONENT_PROJECT_URL=http://saltstack.com
 COMPONENT_FMRI=system/management/$(COMPONENT_NAME)
 COMPONENT_CLASSIFICATION='System/Administration
 and Configuration'
 <snip>

 Something like COMPONENT_CLASSIFICATION
 would break pkgmogrify with:
 pkgmogrify: File
 /export/home/toast/workspace/openindiana/userland/components/python/salt/build/manifest-i386-salt-27.p5m
 line 18: Malformed action at position:
 90: whitespace in key:
     set
 name=info.classification
 value=org.opensolaris.category.2008:System/Administration
 and Configuration

 I could manage to supress this by using
 escape characters like " or '.
 But not in all cases. And with the
 Classification the Whitespaces are
 required as that Category has
 Whitespaces in their name. Thus it won't
 publish.

 I remember that Whitespaces where no
 problem not long ago. How will we
 handle this? Packages like puppet and