[oi-dev] Would OI be interested in Pale Moon?

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Wed Dec 11 10:37:55 UTC 2019

Till Wegmüller writes:
> I concur. Some politeness goes a long way. This problem with the license
> requirements however stems from firefox originally. Only that in
> firefox'es case they fought with the debian community and lost. It seems
> like the Palemoon community needs to have the same experience. Sadly....

To me, the problem looks slightly different:  The Pale Moon devs insist
on having private copies of a huge number of libraries in their source
tree.  If a distro changes that to use the system version of those libs
instead, the PM people consider that a license violation.  IIRC the
original Debian ./. Firefox dispute was about logos and icons.

It is understandable that OpenBSD does not want apps to be using separate
non-audited and possibly outdated copies of system libraries.

The arrogant and high-handed way in which the PM people phrased their
demands were no help either.  They have not realized that they are
driving users away, a very stupid thing to do.

Not sure if Jeremy should continue calling his build "Pale Moon".  Maybe
"New Moon" would be better, just to avoid sudden abuse coming from the
PM people over some build flag.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"