[oi-dev] should packages have a pkg.description or not?

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 19:27:26 UTC 2019

Hi Tim

Welcome to the community.

pkg.description is a longer version of pkg.summary. In OpenIndiana we
use highlevel scripts to write these attributes.

Looking at our standard templates under templates directory in
oi-userland I see that they are not using any Property for the
Description. But some components do. But it does not seem to translate
into the final manifest.

We have a documentation of these highlevel scripts under
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland

The scripts themselves are at https://github.com/openindiana/oi-userland

Have a look around.

I would say that if we use pkg.description additionally to pkg.summary
then we would just need to fix oi-userland scripts. There are a lot of
COMPONENT_DESCRITION variables already in oi-userland. It should stay
optional though as The Disgners has designed the Property to be optional.

Greetings
Till