[oi-dev] OI SPARC ISO and repository available for download

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 10 20:56:06 UTC 2019

I now have my Open Indiana hipster ISO and IPS repository ready for
download.  You can obtain them as:

    https://apt.dilos.org/oi-sparc/OI_2018_Text_SPARC.iso.gz
    https://apt.dilos.org/oi-sparc/OI_2018_repository.tar.gz

To verify these files, use the following checksums:

    $ digest -a sha256 OI_2018_Text_SPARC.iso.gz
    401af052e33d2f2aaa5bd0c62251194e2882ed9164c72b76757def962fceb883
    $ digest -a sha256 OI_2018_repository.tar.gz
    4929c8abd31a944be2ceb0e35251f5b0bc972e1524828c0faee83a7407c271d6

The ISO did boot and install on my T2000.  I'd like to know if it
boots on other SPARC machines, and also if it boots and runs in a
zone.  I only tested it on real hardware.

I did have to boot it twice.  The first boot command always failed,
but the second succeeded.  I don't know why this happens.  This is
the OBP command I used, both times:

    {0} ok boot cdrom

Only the text installer is available.  Eventually, it will give you a
welcome message and a menu.  The installer will ask you to select a
disk from a list of available disks, and prompt for a user name and
password, and also for a root password.  Beware that it installs onto
the active disk by default.  Select another disk, if this is not what
you want.  It will install OI SPARC on that disk, and change the OBP
variable boot-device to boot that disk.  If that is not what you want,
change it before rebooting.

Please also let me know if the install succeeds for you.