[oi-dev] Where should SPARC go?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 19 22:19:09 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 01:14:26PM +0100, Olaf Bohlen wrote:
> Alexander Pyhalov via oi-dev <oi-dev at openindiana.org> writes:
>
> > So, I see the following 'ideal' world.
> > 1) There's  a set of OI/SPARC build zones, available to OI developers.
>
> I can provide multiple build zones on a seperate LDOM. I need to
> know how many zones are needed and how much disk-space they need.

One might be sufficient.

> > 4) Preferably,  we have means to build each PR on SPARC with little effort.
>
> I also have a Jenkins instance running on my sparc, and I can also
> install Jenkins in the dev zones.

That and a build zone would automate the build process.  However, we
are not quite ready for that.  I'd like to build and publish a few
more packages first.  I'd also like to produce another ISO.  I need a
few more successful or unsuccessful install reports before I do that.

> > 1) We need SPARC zone with jenkins, which automatically builds some subset of packages, which are known to be working on SPARC.
> > 2) I can create a oi/sparc branch on OI repo for current SPARC work, which will periodically be merged to oi/hipster.
> > But without 1) I thinks further talk is useless.
[...]
> I'm happy to contribute in my spare time, I'd prefer that Gary
> takes the role to tell me/us what to do.

It looks as if I'll be the coordinator.

What we really need right now is remote access to the package
repository.  I believe that pkg.depotd will do that, but I've never
tried it.