[oi-dev] Bootloader as of today damaged?

Toomas Soome tsoome at me.com
Sat Sep 28 13:29:07 UTC 2019

> On 28 Sep 2019, at 12:45, Toomas Soome <tsoome at me.com> wrote:
>

>> On 28 Sep 2019, at 12:11, Andreas Wacknitz <A.Wacknitz at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have updated one of my build servers today and it stopped working after reboot.
>> I get a black screen (before the bootloader prompt typically is shown). So, my conclusion is that
>> the bootloader is damaged. I have re-installed OI with Michal's latest text image and after pkg update
>> the boot fails again.
>> Has anybody else experienced the same?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andreas
>
> poke me on irc and we can do some diag…
>
> rgds,
> toomas

hi!

As it did turn out, it is not about bootloader being damaged, but installboot doing slightly wrong (updating VBR/PBR while stage2 was not updated). I’ll try to get the fix integrated asap, but for now, the workaround is:

after you run pkg update, force update of boot program with:
beadm mount NEWBE /mnt
bootadm install-bootloader -f -R /mnt

Or wait with update till the repo has loader package more recent than

Packaging Date: 28 September 2019 at 01:31:17
          Size: 2.26 MB
          FMRI: pkg://openindiana.org/system/boot/loader@1.1,5.11-2019.0.0.19070:20190928T013117Z

or /boot/gptzfsboot more recent than (use installboot -i /boot/gptzfsboot):
Extended version string: 1.1-2019.09.20.1

I’ll update installboot soon to make such error impossible in future.

sorry about the mess,
toomas