[oi-dev] How to specify the video device for Xorg or VT?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 11 19:33:26 UTC 2020

When I upgrade my Ryzen system from OI hipster-20191229 to OI
hipster-20200212 and boot the new BE, I get a system hang at the point
where X11 is supposed to start up.  The Xorg.0.log file ends like
this:

    	ARUBA, ARUBA
    [    72.142] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
    [    72.142] (++) using VT number 7

This system uses an ASUS PRIME B350M-A motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 3
1200 CPU.  Note that this CPU has no built-in GPU even though the
motherboard has some of the required video hardware.  The PCIe video
card is a Radeon HD 7450.  The frame buffer device (/dev/fb) is:

    /devices/pci at 0,0/pci1022,1453 at 3,1/display at 0:text-0

I suspect that Xorg or the virtual terminal service is using the
wrong video device, causing the hang.  I'd like to investigate this
theory a bit further.

How do I configure Xorg to use a specific video device instead of
VT number 7?  If this is not possible, how do I configure VT to use
a specific video device?