[oi-dev] Python components

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Wed Nov 18 17:21:06 UTC 2020

Am 18.11.20 um 17:59 schrieb Nona Hansel:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about updating two Python packages - tqdm and colorama.
> Currently, there is variable PYTHON_VERSIONS= 3.5 in both Makefiles
> which means, if I understand it correctly, that the package is build
> for Python 3.5.
>
> I wonder if I should let this variable like this or should I increase
> Python version. If so, to what version? Or should we have more
> versions at the same time?
> Thank you,
> Nona

Hi Nona,

PYTHON_VERSIONS expects a space separated list of versions, eg.
PYTHON_VERSIONS= 3.5 3.7 3.8
For colorama this is accompanied by the special manifest file
colorama-PYVER.p5m. PYVER is replaced by any member of the
PYTHON_VERSIONS list.
BTW: In cases like this it is helpful to search for similar cases, eg. with
       find . -name Makefile | xargs grep PYTHON_VERSIONS
from within the components/python (or even from components) folder. It
can also be interesting to read the macros in the make-rules folder (eg.
grep there for PYTHON_VERSIONS to find references).

Hope this helps,
Andreas