[oi-dev] Anybody else running named on OI

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 23 14:22:39 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 08:49:17AM +0200, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:

> It's true that running BIND with -u option (e.g. -u named) is a
> classical way to run BIND as non-root, so the SMF service could (or
> already is) encourage that.

Yes, that is the default under OI.  I thought at first that it was
broken, but with further reading I discovered that it was not broken.

> If you check out with GIT : git clone oi-userland
> and you check the Makefile of the components/network/bind
>
> There is a directory
>
>    oi-userland/components/network/bind/Solaris
>
> For the server.xml there is a comment
>
>         <!--
>                 user: Run bind as the specified users, using the -u
>                 command line option.
>         -->
>         <propval name='user' type='astring' value='named' />

Yes, that is the SMF manifest.

> Perhaps you can add as a comment there what you have discovered ?

I don't really want to modify the source just to add a comment.

> This can be a note in the server.xml comments that could be useful
> for other users,
> so that they don't run into that same issue.

Who would look there?  A document on the web site or a change to a
man page would be more appropriate.  As it stands now, there is not
even a word about SMF in the bind man pages.  People won't even run
bind on OI if they can't even tell how to start it.