[oi-dev] OI hipster text iso image

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Mon Apr 5 13:29:24 UTC 2021

Am 05.04.21 um 15:16 schrieb Gary Mills:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 11:28:05AM +0200, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
>> The package freeze is necessary on the build server in order to protect
>> it from illumos-gate problems.
>> Otherwise the build server would be updated after each successful
>> jenkins run. It is doing that for most non illumos-gate packages, though.
>> I have created newer images on April 2nd, 2021 in order to check the new
>> NVIDIA drivers with the live media today. If there is enough interest I
>> could provide them on our
>> download server.
> I was told by the illumos developers that OI tracks illumos quite
> closely.  Is this no longer the case?
This is still true - every night an illumos-gate build is done by a
jenkins job. If changes had been merged into illumos-gate they will be
packaged by this job.

> illumos updates are normally a good thing.  illumos-gate problems are
> quite rare, and are fixed quickly when they do occur.  I watch illumos
> changes every day.  There are many of them.  All are needed.  All of
> them fix problems or add features.
>
> Freezes on illumos-gate are a bad thing in general.  We need all those
The freeze on osnet-incorporation is JUST FOR THE BUILD SERVER!
The build server must be protected because it is run in the cloud. If it
fails we will need help by EveryCity (or its new owners).
So we don't want automatic updates and reboots (on the build server)!
Nevertheless, new packages are being build nightly for illumos-gate and
for every merge to oi-userland. The updates for
oi-userland are automatically installed on the build server as they
might be needed by other packages (remember, we need
a merge order if we have dependent packages). If something bad happens
here we can roll back easily by means of older boot environments.
But this is not possible if we update the build server with a newer
illumos-gate version that fails to boot - we don't have a console for it!

Andreas