[oi-dev] valgrind and epoll(5) illumos issue

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Apr 10 13:40:08 UTC 2021

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:
> int
> epoll_ctl(int epfd, int op, int fd, struct epoll_event *event)
> {
>        dvpoll_epollfd_t epoll[2];
>
>        res = write(epfd, epoll, sizeof (epoll[0]) * (i + 1));
>

> I am not sure but valgrind may be complaining about passing epoll argument to write().
>
> Perhaps this could be patched at the OpenIndiana level,
> but ideally the Illumos contributors could contact valgrind.org to patch valgrind,
> and/or the illumos sources (if required).
>
> Also that would fix the issue for all Illumos based distributions, not just for OpenIndiana,
> provided OpenIndiana would then incorporate/update its valgrind package.

It is nice to hear that valgrind is working at all.  It is necessarily
for a knowledgeable volunteer to study the interface between the C
library and the kernel and write the valgrind extension code to handle
it.  It is unlikely that the primary Valgrind developers care to
support Illumos directly but they will accept good patches.  People
interested in Illumos need to do the work and take care of themselves.

In the mean time, you could configure the program not to use epoll and
valgrind could be useful for the rest of the program.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt