[oi-dev] valgrind and epoll(5) illumos issue

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sat Apr 10 20:12:22 UTC 2021

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
> If almost nobody cares for packages on OI enough to update them then
> sooner or later OI will be dead.
> Eg. you state on your signature that you are a graphicsmagic maintainer,
> yet our graphicsmagic version is 1.3.26 while the latest is 1.3.36
> according to https://repology.org/project/graphicsmagick/versions

That is strange.  Why is it so old?  A huge raft of security fixes
went in after 1.3.26.  The level of effort to update should be as
simple as changing 26 to 36 in whatever files reference it, and
rebuilding, and publishing.  Obviously that does take time and work.
Some sort of script to automatically update release versions based on
upstream releases would surely be helpful.  The software is still
upward binary compatible with previous releases.  Obviously, not all
software is so sensible.

I don't build the many packages listed at repology.org.

As clarification, I am effectively the only maintainer for
GraphicsMagick since the last contribution by someone else was in 2018
(which actually resulted in massive work on my part).  Meanwhile I
have a demanding unrelated full-time job and work on GraphicsMagick
(for free) in my spare time.

During my time continually contributing to the code base (since 1995
or 1996) it has primarily been edited on SunOS-based systems and
currently I am using OpenIndiana for my desktop.  Releases are
currently cut using a OmniOSce zone fortified with OpenBSD Pkgsrc
packages.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn