[oi-dev] Distribution build system requirements?

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 10:17:44 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 12:45 AM Reginald Beardsley via oi-dev <
oi-dev at openindiana.org> wrote:

> What computer resources are needed to build all the distribution images
> overnight, i.e. 8 hours, from a local repository?

On my workstation (4 year old 10 core machine with 48GB RAM) it takes a ~2h
if I remember correctly.
I do not think it is CPU bound as the work is mainly serialized.

> I'm on a 3 Mb/s downlink, so as a practical matter I'm better off building
> and testing release candidates locally.
>
> I'd like to take on the work.  It's a few weeks twice a year which I can
> comfortably manage.   I have plenty of professional experience producing
> internal software releases in major oil companies.
>
> I've also done FreeBSD,  Debian, Solaris 11 and Solaris 10 installs in the
> last week.  For all the flaws I encountered in the Hipster 2020.10 images,
> it's still better than the others in many ways.   I'm proposing to work on
> the software to build the installation media with a strong focus on
> intensive testing of the install process and making it more flexible.

Once you have the distro constructor set up on the machine it is fairly
easy.
I expected the initial setup would take ~30min and some trial and error to
modify the vanilla manifests. e.g. to use your own local repository to spin
custom images.

> The installation process is the new user's first impression.  Gparted not
> working doesn't give a good impression.  Nor does, "you can only use 2 TB
> of your new 5 TB disk".  I'd like to fix that.

I know gparted is not great... I attempted to port our patchset to newer
versions a long time ago but it was too much work...

> Have Fun!
> Reg

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings