[oi-dev] Distribution build system requirements?

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 22:44:25 UTC 2021

What computer resources are needed to build all the distribution images overnight, i.e. 8 hours, from a local repository?

I'm on a 3 Mb/s downlink, so as a practical matter I'm better off building and testing release candidates locally.

I'd like to take on the work.  It's a few weeks twice a year which I can comfortably manage.   I have plenty of professional experience producing internal software releases in major oil companies.

I've also done FreeBSD,  Debian, Solaris 11 and Solaris 10 installs in the last week.  For all the flaws I encountered in the Hipster 2020.10 images, it's still better than the others in many ways.   I'm proposing to work on the software to build the installation media with a strong focus on intensive testing of the install process and making it more flexible.

The installation process is the new user's first impression.  Gparted not working doesn't give a good impression.  Nor does, "you can only use 2 TB of your new 5 TB disk".  I'd like to fix that.

Have Fun!
Reg