[oi-dev] Variable PATH in Makefile (tornado)

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 14 13:01:46 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:40:17PM +0200, Nona Hansel wrote:

>    I'm having some problems updating tornado. Currently, the PATH variable
>    in Makefile is defined in the older mode like this:
>
>    PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/sbin
>
>    Like this, tornado builds, installs and publishes fine.
>
>    When I change it to the newer mode:
>
>    PATH=$(PATH.gnu)
>    It builds fine, but fails during gmake install with this message:

The order of directories in the search path only matters if the
commands have the same name, because the first one is found.  `sed'
does exist in both /usr/bin and /usr/gnu/bin, for example.  `gsed',
however, only exists in /usr/bin .  Of course, a missing directory in
the path will matter, because the command will not be found.

Some Makefiles use `env -i', which deletes all environment variables,
including useful ones like PATH .  In that case, you need to reinstate
PATH .