[oi-dev] Squeak and libjpeg9-ijg

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sun Dec 26 15:28:59 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'm submitting a package called libjpeg9-ijg version 9.4.0.

libjpeg is a library from the Independent JPEG Group  (http://www.ijg.org)

Apparently some contributors to libjpeg software are also reading this mailing list by the way,
but I see no libjpeg9 package for OpenIndiana for 9.4.0 so I created one.

I know very little of JPEG but my package was to test with Squeak (Smalltalk-80) which can open JPEG images with a plugin.

To test JPEG in Squeak the Smalltalk code is documented at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/4043

Squeak is currently in the OpenIndiana repo and depends on libjpeg6-ijg and that works with libjpeg6-ijg.

But I tested now setting linking against libjpeg9 and that does NOT work : Squeak loads libjpeg.so.9.4.0 but does not display a JPEG image ... (unlike squeak when linked against libjpeg6-ijg).

Neither does using libjpeg8-turbo or libjpeg62-turbo work for Squeak.  So it seems the Squeak plugin depends on something in libjpeg6-ijg and this needs to be fixed at the Squeak VM level.

Nevertheless I'm submitting the libjpeg9-ijg package which may be useful for some other purposes, or in the future for Squeak as well ...

Regards,
David Stes