[oi-dev] some Newbie questions

Friedrich Kink friedrich.kink at fkink.de
Mon Dec 27 20:19:13 UTC 2021

Hi all,

reading silently for a couple of years this mailing list I decided now
to contribute to the community my extensions I made over the years to my
system (at least I'd like to try ;-)). The main purpose of my system is
to act as mail server supporting all modern security features like DANE,
SPF, DKIM, DMARC etc (which works btw for couple of years already,
basically I started with opensolaris). That's why I'll focus on those
packages. Of course I've some questions after starting this endeavor.
Especially when trying to build Spamassassin which requires a lot of
additional Perl modules. While start building these modules it turned
out that the provided 64bit Perl version 5.24 is pretty outdated. So I
built the current stable version 5.34 based on the existing 5.24 setup.
Worked like a charm ;-). Now first question: Is there a
reason/dependency for not upgrading to a newer version? Next question:
Some Perl modules have odd version like 1.04 which makes publishing a
package impossible because of the padding zero in the number after the
dot. What is the reason for bailing out on a padding zero (just a
question for me and my understanding ;-))? Also, some packages will
require a new user and/or group. Are uids/gids managed centrally or can
I just choose some numbers <100 not used to my best knowledge? How to
store test results (I haven't found the trick where the results get
stored in the test directory while comparing existing packages with
mine). And finally when I think I'm ready to release my package would
this list be the place to ask for integration?

thanks a lot for all the work already,

   Fritz