[oi-dev] some Newbie questions

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Tue Dec 28 19:19:54 UTC 2021

Personally I'd like to request a perl tk package.

This can be used for TeXLive on OpenIndiana.

Currently the page https://tug.org/texlive/distro.html lists:

    Debian: aptitude install perl-tk
    Ubuntu: apt-get install perl-tk
    Gentoo: emerge dev-perl/Tk # older: dev-perl/tk

but no OpenIndiana.  However I'm sure that if there were a perl-tk package, then it'd work for TexLive install-tl.

It would be nice if you could just do "pkg install perl-tk" in OpenIndiana.

This is a personal opinion, I do not know whether such a package would be hard/difficult to make,
and whether it would be accepted.   But TCL/Tk is in the OpenIndiana repo.  TCL version 8.6.12,
which should be fine for TexLive as this requests TCL 8.5 or higher.

In fact I am sure perl/tk works, I compile it manually for the tlmgr -gui:

http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/community/texlive/

Anyway if you would have a look at the Perl packages, I guess that would be a most welcome contribution.

Regards,
David Stes