[oi-dev] OpenSSL update process

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 22:04:10 UTC 2021

Hi,
two (belated) PRs are queued to amend OpenSSL 1.0 and add OpenSSL 1.1 to
our repository:

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/6471
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/pull/6472

Both implementations live in their own prefix with mediated links in /lib
and /usr/lib; pkg-config files are also mediated.

The recipe is adapted from the solaris-userland efforts, thanks to them.

Tasks at hand:
1. Fix 3 small illumos-gate nits due to cypher deprecation.
2. Add macros to ease the switch between OpenSSL 1.0/1.1
3. Move all the components supporting OpenSSL 1.1 or update them.
4. Deprecate possible rotting components which cannot be updated and may
cause security issues.

A PR will contain 2 + 3 and we'll try to use the simple build_plan scheme
to publish on the build server in one go.

Priority is on the cryptographic Python modules used by pkg5 and security +
server side software.

When we feel confident that all is rebuilt and well we set OpenSSL 1.1 as
the default mediator version.

Any ideas on the details?

Kind regards,

Aurélien