[oi-dev] openssl and gmake REQUIRED_PACKAGES

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Sun Feb 21 17:44:30 UTC 2021

Hi,

As a test, I compiled Squeak (Smalltalk-80) with openssl-11.

For more info on Squeak also see the Hipster handbook:
http://docs.openindiana.org/handbook/community/squeak/index.html

Squeak has a loadable and optional plugin for SSL;
the core kernel package (called squeak-nodisplay) and then plugins
(squeak plugins for SSL, for pulseaudio etc.)

The squeak-nodisplay works for a headless Smalltalk environment with -nodisplay,
and it has no dependency on OpenSSL.  But squeak itself (with all the plugins) depends on OpenSSL.

Basically Squeak is already being built on some platforms with openssl 1.1,
some of the Squeak developers use Linux with openssl 1.1, so I expected few problems.

The good news is that when I set

  pkg set-mediator -V 1.1 openssl

I can compile squeak and it seems to use openssl 1.1.

But this is because I set the mediator, and maybe I misunderstood previous postings here,
but I think I read the plan is exactly that it should NOT be necessary to set the mediator.

When I build in oi-userland the component and then type

   gmake REQUIRED_PACKAGES

it adds openssl-11 (because it discovers a dependency, I suppose).

Now this is a basic question, but I wonder whether it is now the goal
to update the required dependency so that this package manifest
(or manifest of any other packages), so that it has openssl-11 as dependency or what is the plan ?

Also I wonder whether I should have 2 components :  squeak for openssl 1.0.2
and squeak for openssl 1.1  or just make the transition and drop support for openssl 1.0.2 ?

Also isn't this something where a GIT branch for oi-userland could be used ?

How were the upgrades of openssl done in the past ?

Isn't the easiest way to use the old strategy from the past to upgrade openssl,
and then (without mediator I suppose) upgrade all packages to the new openssl ?

I'm posting this to this list as squeak is just an example,
I suppose it's relevant to all packages.

Regards,
David Stes