[oi-dev] New SPARC ISO for testing

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 8 01:43:17 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-07 15:01, Gary Mills wrote:
> This ISO is the same as the previous 2018 ISO except for two bug
> fixes.  If the last one didn't work for you, this one might.
>
> One of the fixes is for one of disk drivers, one that's only used on
> newer systems.  It happens because driver is in two parts, causing the
> boot to fail.  It stops with this error:
>
>     undefined symbol 'sata_split_model'
>
> The other is for the bash shell.  The problem in this case, is that
> it needs a library.  If it's missing, the single-user console fails,
> resulting in this error:
>
>     bash: fatal: libncurses.so.5: open failed
>
> To use the new ISO, first download it from this location:
>
>     https://apt.dilos.org/oi-sparc/OI_2018_02_Text_SPARC.iso.gz
>
> Then, check it's integrity like this:
>
>     $ digest -a sha256 OI_2018_02_Text_SPARC.iso.gz
>     9ea289ef064e320200ae979dae25e0c2aa8846fa57f033d742c0612cd654397f
>
> Next, uncompress it with a command like this:
>
>     $ gunzip OI_2018_02_Text_SPARC.iso.gz

First off; thanks for your work! :-)
> Then, burn it to a DVD.  Note that the file OI_2018_02_Text_SPARC.iso
> is a bootable DVD image.  There's no known way to transfer it to a USB
> stick.  You must create and boot a DVD.
My OI box isn't in front of me ATM. But on the *BSDs I'm able to dump a
bootable CD/DVD image (iso) to a USB device/stick with dd(1) eg;

dd if=iso-image.iso of=/dev/<usb-stick-device> bs=1m conv=sync

I'm not sure there's that much difference in that regard between
BSD vs OI. But I'll download your image and give it a go. Then report my
findings.

Thanks again!

--Chris