[oi-dev] Plan for openssl update

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Jan 14 22:09:05 UTC 2021

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, Chris wrote:

>> However do you see any package that we could happily deprecate in the
>> process? ;)
> I'm not sure what IO's policy is. But, given python2x went EOL upstream.
> You could eliminate python/python27 from the list. Which, given all the
> packages that _depend_ on it, would make the list even smaller. ;-)

Regardless of Python 2x going EOL upstream, there is a remarkable
amount of Python 2 code continuing to be used in the world.

People did not necessarily rush to convert their software so that it
would work with Python 3 even if they had heard repeated mentions that
they should do so.

In somecases the port forward to Python 3 is easy and in other cases
it is a nightmare.

The '2to3' helper tool only goes so far.  Problems often remain and
can only be discovered by exercising every code path.

OpenIndiana should not be the first to remove Python 2x entirely.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt