[oi-dev] Tasks to focus on

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Sun Jan 24 17:30:30 UTC 2021

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021, Gary Mills wrote:

> First, though, there has to be demand for the software product.  I,
> myself, have no interest in Tex.  In fact, I don't even know what Tex
> is, except that it's used by mathematicians.  I'm not one of those.  I
> have some doubts about the demand.

While I did buy a couple of books on TeX a long time ago (and even
wrote a resume in it once) it did not catch on for me.

However, I have learned that TeX is a wonderful typesetting/publishing
system (with fonts!) which can be taken advantage of by other
software.  This means that if you want to produce a PDF, or Postscript
for a printer, may be useful to have TeX available.

For example, I have written documentation using the reStucturedText
text format, and used reStucturedText tools which themselves used TeX
under the covers to produce nice PDF output.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt