[oi-dev] Tasks to focus on

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 14:14:14 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 5:39 PM Gary Mills <gary_mills at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 2021 at 10:39:12PM +0100, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> >    Back in March I was working on:
> >    - building oi-userland with GCC-10 (everything was built except ~10
> >    packages).
> >    - providing Python 3.8 and 3.9.
> >    - migrating pkg5 to Python 3.7.
> >    - updating Boost.
> >    - updating Clang.
> >    - updating Rust.
> >    - updating libdrm to 2.4.100.
> >    - bringing automated rebuild of oi-userland packages and dependencies
> >    in order.
> >    However priorities should be set as I cannot dedicate too much time...
> >    - What do you think should be prioritized?
> >    - Is anybody interested in picking up one of the tasks? I can assist
> >    and provide some guidance.
>
> Is your list still the same, or have some tasks been completed?

Hi Gary,
sorry for the late reply, I have been quite busy with research and PhD
students...

My list is pretty much the same except that Python 3.9 is now packaged
together with some modules (including pip and pipdeptree for convenience)
and that we will skip 3.8.

Also we are going to jump to pkg supporting 3.9 as Andy did recently.

In the top priorities:
- Moving packages to use Python 3.7 instead of 2.7 or 3.5.
- Adding python modules for 3.7 and 3.9.
- Updating Clang.

> I'd like to take on something, but those tasks are mostly outside of
> my area of expertise.  On the other hand, I know how to build OI
> packages and how to create PRs.  What do you suggest.

One urgent task is to move away from Python 2.7 and 3.5.

For example all these dependencies need to be addressed: the more hands the
better.

alarcher at narval:/export/home/alarcher$ pkg search -H -r -o pkg.name
'depend:require:runtime/python-27' | sed -e '/library\/python/d' | sort -u
application/cluster/cluster-glue
application/cluster/pcs
backup/bacula/bacula-sd
backup/rdiff-backup-27
database/couchdb-21
database/postgres-10/contrib
database/postgres-10/language-bindings
database/postgres-11/contrib
database/postgres-11/language-bindings
database/postgres-12/contrib
database/postgres-12/language-bindings
database/postgres-95/language-bindings
database/postgres-96/language-bindings
desktop/gnumeric
desktop/studio/jokosher-27
desktop/window-manager/openbox
developer/debug/gdb
developer/documentation-tool/gtk-doc
developer/dtrace/toolkit
developer/gnome/gnome-doc-utils
developer/meld
developer/parser/antlr-2
developer/python/pylint-27
developer/versioning/git
developer/versioning/mercurial-27
diagnostic/nmap-cli
diagnostic/nmap-gui
editor/geany/plugins
image/editor/gimp
library/desktop/libpeas/libpeas-pythonloader
library/e/efl
library/e/expedite
library/java/grails
library/libevent2
library/math/petsc/mpich/gcc
library/math/petsc/openmpi/gcc
mail/claws-mail
mail/fetchmail
metapackages/build-essential
runtime/python-27/tests
system/desktop/ldtp-27
system/management/ansible
system/management/salt-27
system/test/fio
terminal/terminator-27
web/editor/bluefish
web/server/apache-24/module/apache-wsgi-27

This is a long list of packages that should be either patched to use 3.7,
updated to a recent version supporting 3.X or simply removed if they are
obsolete.

Of course due to dependency hell we may need to update some of the python
packages in the meantime to provide >= 3.7 versions.
So far ~25% of the Python modules have been upgraded (within a week, so the
task is not as humongous as one would think).

> I know C and perl, but not Python.  My background is Solaris, mostly
> command-line, not GUI.  I'm slow but steady.

Packaging Python stuff is fairly easy but if you feel more confident with
compilers then providing a newer Clang >= 10 is an important task.
Do no hesitate to post to ask for more details.
However expect some latency on my side in the coming week (workload).
Kind regards,

Aurélien

> --
> -Gary Mills-            -refurb-                -Winnipeg, Manitoba,
> Canada-

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings