[oi-dev] Tasks to focus on

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 28 02:55:08 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 03:14:14PM +0100, Aurélien Larcher wrote:

>    My list is pretty much the same except that Python 3.9 is now packaged
>    together with some modules (including pip and pipdeptree for
>    convenience) and that we will skip 3.8.
>    Also we are going to jump to pkg supporting 3.9 as Andy did recently.
>    In the top priorities:
>    - Moving packages to use Python 3.7 instead of 2.7 or 3.5.
>    - Adding python modules for 3.7 and 3.9.
>    - Updating Clang.
>
>    One urgent task is to move away from Python 2.7 and 3.5.
>    For example all these dependencies need to be addressed: the more hands
>    the better.
>    alarcher at narval:/export/home/alarcher$ pkg search -H -r -o [2]pkg.name
>    'depend:require:runtime/python-27' | sed -e '/library\/python/d' | sort
>    -u
>    application/cluster/cluster-glue

I decided on Python upgrades, starting with the cluster-glue package.
I'd like to determine if newer versions are available, since they may
use newer Python versions.  However, I couldn't find any mention of
Python except for this line in Makefile:

    REQUIRED_PACKAGES += runtime/python-27

I decided I needed to install python39 on my development system first,
using python37 as a model.  I do have a few questions.  Is it version
3.9.1 that you are using?  What did you do with the tkinter manifest?
What configure options did you use?  I suppose most of the answers are
in your Makefile .

>    This is a long list of packages that should be either patched to use
>    3.7, updated to a recent version supporting 3.X or simply removed if
>    they are obsolete.
>    Of course due to dependency hell we may need to update some of the
>    python packages in the meantime to provide >= 3.7 versions.
>    So far ~25% of the Python modules have been upgraded (within a week, so
>    the task is not as humongous as one would think).

I'm sure I'll discover most of those things as I go along.