[oi-dev] Tasks to focus on

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Wed Jan 27 18:56:13 UTC 2021

----- Op 27 jan 2021 om 15:55 schreef Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de:

>> Packaging TeXLive needs some scripting to split tex packages by groups,
>> otherwise you get a >= 1.5GB blob to install at once.

1.5GB sound way too big but it is indeed also the size that is reported in
http://tug.org/texlive/distro.html for Slackware and Debian.

Slackware t series texlive 2020 is only 76 MB.

>> I think the Debian Sciences team had developed such scripts to maintain their
>> packages.

Presumably the Slackware small size is also the result of a lot packaging work.

> True!  I do have my own script for Solaris, that does exactly the same
> thing.  This is the result:
>
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive@1.0.0,5.11:20150514T171548Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/binaries@1.0.0,5.11:20150514T222435Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/doc-latex-1@1.0.0,5.11:20150514T170151Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/doc-latex-2@1.0.0,5.11:20150514T170242Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/doc-local@1.0.0,5.11:20150528T071726Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/doc-other@1.0.0,5.11:20150514T170337Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/formats@1.0.0,5.11:20150514T170427Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/local@1.0.0,5.11:20150514T210914Z
>  pkg://bb-c/bbc/application/texlive/other@1.0.1,5.11:20150514T213612Z

Disadvantage is that this a large set of packages.

To keep it simple maybe OI could only provide just 1 simple,
small texlive package, of about 75 MB like Slackware does.

Also question is whether FMRI would be application/texlive
or whether to put TeX in its own folder like tex/texlive.